REAChPosted on November 2, 2017
What is REACh and how does it affect your business?
REACh stands for Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals. REACh is a regulation of the European Union, adopted to improve the protection of human health and the environment from the risks that can be posed by chemical substances.
Existing substances manufactured or imported into Europe in quantities of 100 tonnes or greater per year have already been registered. By 31st May 2018, all substances manufactured by Houghton or our suppliers in Europe, or imported, in quantities of between 1 tonne and 100 tonnes per year have to be registered. This is expected to lead to the withdrawal from the European market, or substitution, of many raw materials and products. Project REACh is working to ensure that we continue service our customers with products within the regulation after May 2018.
What is next?
- Commence a business risk review of other purchases materials
- Develop a plan of how to implement the procedural modifications or additions required to manage Reach
- Develop a project plan to manage the changed requirements of Safety Data Sheets
- Continue to follow- up with suppliers and assess responses on remaining and any newly identified materials
- Complete the business risk review of any remaining or newly identified Houghton products, and include these in the program to implement resolution actions
- Continue liaison with customers concerning REACh and to manage the impact of resolution actions, including implementation of reformulated products
If you would like more information or support with Reach please don’t hesitate to contact your Account Manager.